I've noticed that my aging but ever faithful 82 240D with the factory installed R-12 system does not blow as cold as I would like it to. On an ordinary day with the outside temperature in the 70's, the thermometer shows the air coming out of the dash vents typically at about 45 degrees, give or take. On hot days like today, with the outside air temp close to 90 degrees, it can't get the outlet temp down much below 50 degrees.

Questions:

1. How cold can I expect the outlet temperature to be on a 90 degree day with more than average humidity (southern California)?

2. On a 75 degree day?

3. Is there something in the system that won't let the outlet temp get down below a certain temperature? What temp is that? Can it be adjusted?

4. If the sight glass shows bubbles (foam?) constantly, is that a reliable indicator that the system is low on freon?

5. Can freon be added until there are no more bubbles?

I'd be interested in knowledgeable opinions about this.

Thanks in advance

Jerry
82 240D
231,000 miles