Bob Rentfro wrote:

Herr Doktor schreib:

"Your '77 300D should NEVER drop into 1st except when the kickdown switch
 is activated or the shifter dropped into 2nd!

 That's according to The Automatic Transmissions Maintenance &
 Diagnostics manual MB 056 89 (3-89)."

Ahhhh...Thanks for checking the manual, Herr Doktor. Actually, what it felt like was someone slightly nudged me in the rear at the light. The car pulled away normally in the correct gear. Everything has been normal today. Strange.

When the transmission mount fails, you MAY experience sort of a clunk as the car slows to a stop - at least that's ONE symptom I've seen.

Marshall
'87 300TD 182Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 161Kmi, '87 190D 2.5 turbo 237kmi, '84 190D 2.2 229Kmi (retired)