Donald Snook wrote:
> Didn't you say it needed tires?  How do you know the howl is not tire
> noise. I had a howl from my old Chevy 4X4 and it ended up being the
> tires.

That's the annoying thing.  It can go either way.  I had a noise on an
E150 once that I swore was tire noise.  It sounded exactly like tire
whine, and didn't change with throttle position, only with speed.  It
turned out to be the bearings in the rear end.

If I were the one shopping for a truck, I'd use the noise to bargain the
price down.  Then I'd change the tires, and if the noise stayed, I'd
start shopping for a junkyard rear axle.  They go bad so rarely on most
vehicles that the odds of finding a good one seem pretty good.