To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Wednesday, August 23, 2006 11:21 PM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] 124 Trans diagnosis

Herr Doktor,

Is any of this fixable from underneath, without removing the trans?  I put
a filter and fluid in not long ago, I think it was May.  It has been
working just fine, and was going down the highway when this started.  A
broken spring or a blown oring seem plausible.  How is the valve body
sealed to the transmission?  are there orings?  Are there springs in the
valve body?  I apologize if these are dumb questions, but I have avoided
working on AT until now.  (only had manual trans until we got the 240D
about 10 years ago.)

Loren

It's all a matter ATF pressure. Sounds like you are loosing pressure as
the transmission fluid heats up and that causes the transmission to
downshift and to NOT shift up. It can be a matter of wear, dirt in the
valve body, scarred seals, a broken spring, etc.

Marshall
'87 300TD 182Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 161Kmi, '87 190D 2.5 turbo 237kmi, '84
190D 2.2 229Kmi (retired)

Loren Faeth