From Today's Sacramento Bee;
No fuming over fuel change New diesel blend will ease smog, officials say By
Chris Bowman -- Bee Staff Writer

Published 12:01 am PDT Monday, August 28, 2006
Story appeared on Page A3 <http://www.sacbee.com/content/print_edition/#MAIN
NEWS> of The Bee

Print<http://www.sacbee.com/content/politics/v-print/story/14310419p-15207562c.html>|
E-Mail<http://www.sacbee.com/content/politics/v-email/story/14310419p-15207562c.html>|
Comments
(0)<http://www.sacbee.com/content/politics/story/14310419p-15207562c.html#comments_here>

U.S. Environmental Protection Agency regional administrator Wayne Nastri
demonstrates, using a white handkerchief, the cleanliness of emissions from
the tailpipe of a school bus using "ultra low-sulfur" diesel. The state will
switch over Friday to the cleaner-burning fuel. Sacramento Bee/Andy Alfaro

See additional
images<http://www.sacbee.com/content/politics/story/14310419p-15207562c.html#more_images>

California will reach another big milestone on the road to healthier air
this week as suppliers of diesel complete a mandated switch to an "ultra
low-sulfur" blend.

Remarkably, the sweeping changeover in fuel arrives unheralded by the usual
angst or trepidation over engine breakdowns, performance drops and price
spikes at the pump.

"It's been very quiet, to the point that we had to publicize that it's
taking place," said Jerry Martin, veteran spokesman for the state Air
Resources Board, which adopted the diesel rule.

<http://ads.sacbee.com/RealMedia/ads/click_lx.ads/www.sacbee.com/content/politics/64704644/Button20/Sacbee/Gottschalks_ROS_300_0608_ZZZ/Gottschalks_Brands_300_0806-B.gif/63633763356366653432653866663930>
Smog regulators demonstrated the new fuel in Sacramento last week by holding
a bleached-white handkerchief to the exhaust spout of an idling tanker
truck. Sure enough, as news cameras zoomed in, the hankie stayed spotless.

Aesthetics aside, the new fuel promises to greatly reduce harmful emissions
from trucks and buses, smog officials said.

The cleaner fuel also paves the way for auto manufacturers to introduce a
wide variety of diesel-powered passenger vehicles that otherwise could not
meet California's toughest-in-the-nation exhaust standards, according to
diesel engine manufacturers.

"You can see them all lining up," said Michael Coates, spokesman for the
Diesel Technology Forum, a nonprofit industry trade group.

On Friday, General Motors announced plans to roll out a 360-horsepower
turbodiesel in a full-size pickup sometime after 2009. BMW, Volkswagen,
DaimlerChrysler and Ford have similar plans in the works, Coates said.

In addition to delivering more punch than gasoline engines at low speeds,
the diesel models would rival today's gasoline hybrids on fuel economy,
Coates said.

GM promises that its debut engine will use 25 percent less fuel than a
comparable gasoline V8.

California's deadline for the switch-over to low-sulfur diesel is Friday. A
similar federal rule gives diesel suppliers elsewhere in the nation until
Oct. 1.

The regulations limit the sulfur content in diesel to 15 parts per million
-- a 97 percent reduction from the current 500 ppm standard.

Sulfur, a naturally occurring component of diesel, is not the chemical of
health concern. Rather, the sulfur interferes with pollution control
equipment on diesel-powered vehicles.

At current levels, the chemical clogs soot filters and disarms catalytic
converters, which destroy smog-forming gases in the exhaust.

Diesel engines produce cancer-causing soot and vastly surpass
gasoline-fueled models in emissions of nitrogen oxides, compounds that
smudge the skies yellowish-brown and form ozone -- the ingredient in smog
that irritates the eyes and airways, according to the state air board.

"Realistically, we are not going to eliminate diesel engines anytime soon,
so we have to clean them up as much as we can," the air board's Martin said.

Nationwide, the cleaner fuel is expected to reduce soot and nitrogen oxide
emissions by more than 90 percent in the next three years as truck and bus
engine manufacturers phase in models with stronger emission standards.

When fully implemented, in 2010, the new engine standards will prevent an
estimate 8,300 soot-related deaths and tens of thousands of smog-related
diseases such as bronchitis and asthma, according to the U.S. Environmental
Protection Agency.

In California, the vast majority of service stations are selling the cleaner
diesel, according to the state air board.

"The public really has not noticed any changeover, though it has mostly
occurred," Martin said.

That was not hardly the case in previous changeovers to cleaner fuel in
California.

Motorists complained of engine knocking for years as the octane-enhancing
lead was phased out of gasoline in the late 1970s.

The first reformulation of diesel in 1993, which cut sulfur to 500 ppm from
3,000 ppm, created a storm of protests as the changeover boosted the price
at truckers' pumps and caused engine breakdowns and fuel leakage in
thousands of big rigs, Martin recalled.

The furor also forced the resignation of the much-respected air board
chairwoman, Jananne Sharpless, an appointee of then-Gov. Pete Wilson, Martin
said.

Then, in the late 1990s, Wilson's successor, Gray Davis, faced political
pressure to phase out the gasoline ingredient methyl tertiary butyl ether,
or MTBE, a compound introduced into California's fuel to replace harmful
lead as an octane booster.

As refineries increased the amount of MTBE to replace other harmful
components, the additive posed a special environmental threat in gasoline
leaks and spills. Highly soluble, MTBE moved far faster underground than any
other gasoline ingredients and could pass through purification plants. And
at low levels it imparted a solventlike taste to drinking water.

The state no longer allows MTBE in fuel.