I've seen something similar on mine with the rotors worn the right(wrong?)
way.  Basically, the outer edge of the rotor is not wearing down with the
rest of the face.  So, there can be a lot of pad left, but the outer edge of
the rotor starts eating into the outer edge of the pad and/or wire and when
it's just a rough rusty edge it can sometimes just flicker while driving
without using the brakes...
That said, my rotors are probably overdue for replacement.  If only I didn't
have to mess with the dang wheel bearings.  That's just stupid in my mind.
I love my Isuzu's and Subaru's where the rear discs are the same as the
front.  You take off the caliper and the roto just slides off.

Levi

On 8/29/06, Marshall Booth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Alex Chamberlain wrote:
> Thanks for the help, all---I will take the wheels off and investigate
> all the wiring closely. So there's no way the pads could just be worn
> and cause an always-flickering light (as opposed to one that flickers
> only when the pedal is pressed)?

What you describe might be possibly caused by worn pads alone, but only
after the light would be reliably activated every time you applied the
brakes for many weeks or months!

Marshall
'87 300TD 182Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 161Kmi, '87 190D 2.5 turbo 237kmi, '84
190D 2.2 229Kmi (retired)