With leaking delivery valves, a low fuel tank level and parked nose up on a
slope, your 300SDL stands a good chance of a no start, I don't know about other
models.

This morning I intentionally and finally duplicated what had happened to my
wife about a month ago.  She called from a neighbors that it would not start, I
went and checked fuel flow, (good), primary filter, (clean), return fuel,(yes)
and the fuel gauge showed just over 1/4 tank.

I let it roll backwards to the road and pointed towards home for a tow.  When
my wife got in to steer, she tried it again and it started.  At home I changed
both fuel filters, degreased, washed and blew the area dry, except I noticed
fuel returning to the delivery valve (DV) area.

Rusty was called for DV orings, springs and copper seals and I continued to use
the car.

After filling the tank and on the way to school one night, I remembered someone
on the list had a slope starting problem, seems it was at their daughters
house, not sure.  I decided to try and duplicate the no start.  I started
parking on a fairly good slope at the house.  I even took a level to estimate
if the slope made the fuel tank level below the DVs and it seemed to be so.  I
kept testing as the tank level keep going down and this morning it happened.

When I parked it on the slope last night, the fuel gauge was just over 1/4 tank
and it would not start until I let it roll to a level spot.  Even then it took
a lot of cranking to self bleed before starting but this was a more severe
slope than my neighbor's driveway.

Of course I would think that any leak could cause the same thing, but DVs are
where the rubber hits the road so any air there is trouble.

Time for breakfast and to start thinking about re-sealing the DVs.

Harry Watkins
Newton, MS
86 SDL Silver
85 300D Euro