Thanks for the suggestions of bad flex disc or center mount.  I  crawled
under and inspected both.  The flex discs looked OK with no cracks,  but the
center mount was trashed and had shined up the underside by beating  against it.

I read the replacement procedure in the manual, and am going to pass on
doing it myself.  The car has an appointment for Oct. 3rd.  A couple
questions:
should I have them replace the Center Bearing also in  addition to the mount
AND  the flex discs do not appear new by any means,  but neither do they look
30 years old either.  Should one expect to see  cracks in this part after three
decades, or can I reasonably assume these were  replaced at some point in the
past?  I'm wondering if I should just have  them replaced as a matter of
course since it will be such an easy deal once  apart.

Steve