The MB tranny has a rear pump so that it can be started by getting it up to around 35 m/h, drop it in drive and the engine will turn over and crank if the fuel and ignition are OK. This is explained in the Owners Manual. If you tow with rear wheels down the rear pump will try to engage the clutch packs and burn the friction plates. I have worked on MBs for many a years and up to around 1985 I know of NO MB torque converters that LOCK UP. At 'cruise' speed the TC is turning so fast you will not know that it is slipping some. If you need to tow raise the rear wheels and let the front ones do the rolling. I had to do this last week when the wife called and said the 300D 'died'. Had it towed, rear wheels up about 60 miles to get it home.
DWS

Mitch Haley wrote:
"P. D. Ferguson" wrote:
                    There have been a few recent posts suggesting that
towing with the MB transmissions may cause them to overheat.  I seem to
recall reading somewhere that the MB transmissions "lock up" when in fourth
gear such that the torque converter is no longer  involved in the transfer
of power as it is it the first three gears.

The old fluid couplers locked up at a certain speed IIRC. (I'm thinking
fintail era here)

The torque converters did not lock, at least not in any MBZ that's old enough
for me to want to own it. Fourth gear is 1:1, so there should be virtually
no heat generated outside of the torque converter.