To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Monday, September 25, 2006 10:42 PM
Subject: [MBZ] Leaky fuel onto a hot exhaust! 123 design flaw?

I wrote last week that her 1985 300CD exudes a strong smell of diesel toward
the rear of the car.  There was a leaky fuel hose under the hood, but more
alarmingly, the tail pipe was WET with diesel fuel as she drove into the
garage!  The fuel lines from the tank are situated directly above the
exhaust pipes and were dripping diesel right onto the hot pipes.  Yikes!

Question: Isn't this an obvious safety hazard/design flaw? Beyond that, is
there anything I should plan on replacing other than the large fuel lines
leading from the tank?  Is there a seal on the fuel tank sending unit that
could also be leaking?