My mom's 420SEL had ~230k miles on it when we sold it, up to ~250k now, we
never had major trouble with it, although the spare fuel pump relay we took
on long trips came in handy on the way back from FL once.  Current owner
just had to have a soft parts rebuild of the tranny.

The whole 126 line was pretty great - in fact I recently read a review for
the new 221 chassis S class that praised it for driving like the old 126.

I would look for a replacement timing chain and tensioner, though - we've
rebuilt quite a few where the chain broke, usually 180+k miles though but I
would think age would be a factor.

Mike