Don't mean to confront you personally, Rory, but in my opinion, your
question speaks to the issue of the type of thinking that partly
causes this problem:

When people leave turn-signalling up to their own judgement, mistakes
are made, and opinions vary.

You may reason that nobody is behind you for a suitable distance, but
1.) have you checked your blindspot sufficiently to ensure there's not
a motorcycle back there, etc., and 2.) We tend to focus on the one or
two things in our mind, while there are dozens of things going on
around us. You may be safely changing lanes without a signal, but the
car that is considering pulling out from a side street into the empty
(about to be occupied by you without warning) lane.

Again, not a personal attack on you, guy. You just opened up
opportunity for further discussion.

Brian