Over here it is the law that every truck has two large signs on the back that states to give way to turning heavy vehicles. This is mainly related to when a truck has to turn from the outside lane around a corner but it is also related to changing lanes.
Basically if a truck says it has to change lanes you get out of it's way.
I think what Robert is trying to say is, using the indicator is politely asking people to make room for you, pushing into their lane is telling them to get the hell out of the way because I have to be where you are. Some drivers need to be reminded that they are not the only person on the road and there is a code of conduct (enforced by laws) to be followed. If you decide not to follow this code you will have to face the consequences of your action.

To: <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Tuesday, September 26, 2006 6:07 AM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Changing lanes

I had to read this post several times because I couldn't believe my eyes.
Maybe you would care to post, in it's entirety, the state (which state?)
traffic law that allows a driver to move over into another vehicle just because he
signalled an intention. You don't say anything about speed differentials.

RLE