Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 18:50:21 -0500
From: "M. Mitchell Marmel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [MBLIST] Rommel: The Horn Blows At Midnight.  And Noon.  And 10:45 AM.
 And...
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED],
 [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED],
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

(Extra Credit Trivia Quiz: Name the radio comedian to whom the title of this epistle refers)

Longtime students of the M. Mitchell Marmel School of Improvisational Mercedes Repair will recall that Rommel has been operating since the spring with a horn button hoseclamped to the turn signal stalk, as well as said stalk being somewhat wonky in the wiper control department. Things came to a head last night, when the wipers, already limited to high speed only, began cutting out entirely when I signalled for a right turn.

Time for me to apply the replacement stalk, steering wheel and horn contacts I got from a late, lamented '70 250C at Lou's U-Pull-It.

This morning dawned clear and chilly, so, after the cable guy had come and gone (I have finally broken down and gotten cable in my bedroom), I commenced working:

1) Remove screws holding left kick panel in place.

2) Remove bungee cord holding left kick panel in place. (The phrase "jerry rigged" was coined with Rommel in mind.)

3) Disconnect old stalk plug. Before pulling, check replacement stalk by plugging in. Huzzah! It works!

4) Undo center nut in steering wheel.

5) Lose nut and socket in steering wheel bowl.

5a) Curse Daimler-Benz engineers.

6) Pull steering wheel with gentle tug.

7) Pull steering wheel with firm tug.

8) Give big honking yank.  Steering wheel pops free.

9) See 5a)

10) Examine horn slip rings and contacts. Yick. The shift column has, true to its nature, shifted a bit and the tip is digging into the outer ring. Brass shavings everywhere.

11) See 5a)

12) Unscrew stalk, attempt to pull out. Fumble with plug until I get it to pass through the steering column cover.

13) See 5a)

14) Install replacement horn contacts.

15) Try to thread replacement stalk cable through column cover. Plug doesn't want to get with the program.

16) See 5a)

17) Get plug threaded, stalk screwed in and horn contact wires connected.

18) Go to plug stalk cable in.

19) Discover that cable is three inches too short to reach the socket.

20) See 5a), grand slam redoubled in spades. Vow to make hefty contribution to the "Track Down 114/115 Engineers and Slap Them Silly" fund. Consider that, given some of the design features of the 114/115, this may be redundant, as the engineers were obviously more than adequately silly.

21) Unbolt socket bracket.

22) Discover that socket slides into bracket.

23) See 5a)

24) Detach socket, connect to plug.

25) Carefully positioning replacement steering wheel, place on splines.

26) Give gentle push.

27) Give strong shove.

28) Whack the hub with a large socket and 1/2" extender.

29) See 5a)

30) Using mystic finger contortions, retrieve socket and nut from original steering wheel.

31) Bolt steering wheel down firmly.

32) Turn on ignition key.

33) Horn sounds continuously.

34) Turn off ignition key.

35) See 5a)

36) Unbolt steering wheel from hub to see if ring is the problem.

37) Ring ain't the problem.

38) Rebolt steering wheel to hub, unbolt hub nut and gently yank at steering wheel.

39) See 8) and 5a).

40) Glare hatefully at the tip of the shift lever column. Wonder if Phil is finished with Iltis yet.

41) Spend fifteen minutes or so fiddling with bits of wood, plastic and so forth to make an insulating cap for the shaft.

42) Finally strike on a bit of plastic pipe left over from an 80's vintage Erector set.

43) Slice a 2.5 mm chunk off.

44) Eureka!  It fits.

45) Reinstall steering wheel as above.

46) Lose socket in bowl again.

47) See 5a)

48) Unbolt wheel from hub; retrieve socket.

49) Reassembly of wheel and kick panel in reverse of above.

50) Turn on ignition switch.  Everything works flawlessly.  Damn, I'm good.

And so, Rommel has a working horn ring, uncracked steering wheel, fully working wipers and a good turn stalk.

A good morning's work, says I.

-MMM-
'68 Mercedes 220D "Rommel" http://www.dhc.net/~pmhack/mercedes/220d681.htm
'67 Mercedes 250S "Entchen" http://www.dhc.net/~pmhack/mercedes/250s671.htm