I just did them on my 87 SDL. I did not like the amount of weight I
was having to put on the oil pan to take the weight off the mounts, so
I pulled out the engine lift. I ended up lifting the whole engine and
transmission a wee bit to get the old mounts out, then a good bit more
to get the new mounts in.
The drivers side was easy. What you said pretty much sums it all up.
The passenger side was a bit harder to get to. I cross threaded the
big bolt on that side just enough so I could not get the bolt started
correctly. Ended up taking the aluminum fixture off that the engine
mount bolts to (attached to the block), then cleared the threads with
a tap and left the aluminum thing loose until the bolt was threaded,
then tightened everything up. You definitely want to start the bolts
by hand - they are going into aluminum.
Both engine shocks were shot too. I removed them and the mounts. Have
not replaced them yet. Damn if I can figure out what good they are.

-Dave Walton
87SDL, 94S350, 99E300