I'm now getting the impression that the 300SD is an almost entirely
different car but using the same engine and transmission.

Not almost. It IS an entirely different automobile. I think very few, if any, chassis, body or electrical parts will interchange. The "S" series was (and is) Mercedes premium auto (barring Maybach). They were designed to cruise the Autobahn at 125+ kph for hours on end, in comfort, safety, and security. The 300 series served more yeoman duties, such as taxi cabs in the third world. They are fine cars in their own right.

Rick Knoble
'85 300 CD
'87 190 DT