[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I've been reading posts about finding suitable vehicles for teenage sons and
> daughters of late and when I ran across a website containing NTSB reports of
> auto and truck accidents they have investigated, I thought this one was
> particularly relevant. I've gone through it several times and found it
> chilling. It
> is a pdf file.
>
> http://www.ntsb.gov/publictn/2003/HAR0302.pdf

Yikes.

I've driven an Explorer and I thought it was a particularly twitchy
vehicle.  It has a fast steering ratio, more like a sports car than a
truck.  I've long suspected that the rollovers after tire blowouts were
probably due to startled drivers over-controlling and turning the wheel
too quickly.  High-profile, short-wheelbase vehicles should have slow
steering ratios to discourage sudden maneuvers.  My old Ford Club Wagon
had four full turns from lock to lock, and to me that felt about right
for a truck.