Jim, that's the perfect answer I was looking for!  Cheap, simple and
precise!  Now, let me make sure i have it right.  I have some of that
insulation at home that has a slit down the side where it would slip over
the pipe and I don't believe it's self stick.  If I'm remembering correctly,
the stuff you're talking about is the same except that the slit has some
self adhesive on it so that once it's slipped sideways over the pipe, the
seam will stick back together and seal itself off?

THANKS!
Levi (:

On 11/9/06, Jim Cathey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Sure enough there was a hunk of gunky, sticky foam stuff between a
> couple
> lengths of seemingly regular rubber and/or plastic hose.
>
> It was suggested that a piece of belled hose such as that from the
> radiator

The 'perfect' replacement is a length of 1/2" peel-and-stick foam pipe
insulation from the hardware store.  Cheap, too.  On my 560 SL I bought
(from the dealer no less) the official replacement.  I've learned a bit
since then, and everything else has fed from the same length of foam
insulation I bought awhile ago.

> If the idea is simply to get some flow, but not full flow air through,

The idea was to get air flow, without coupling blower noise through.
Cars with an aspirator motor (126, etc.) dispense with the foam
section.

> Could I just use one larger piece of hose over top of the smaller?
> I.e. the
> I.D. of one hose matches the O.D. of the other.

That's exactly what the original was, as is the suggested replacement.

> As for explanation of the system, is it basially just trying to get
> some
> low flow of air over the sensor by pulling from the blower motor?

Yes.  Without that flow in-cabin temperature regulation is
largely nonexistent.  As you've found.

> Is it also sampling outside air?

No.

> I found a broken hose that seems to be
> heading out the side of the car right in front of the passenger door
> and the
> other end seems to come from near where the air temp sensor is.

I believe that's a water drain for the air intake plenum.

-- Jim