The 85 will work just fine, unless its a california version you wont have to change the manifold. Motor mount arms are the same. The IP is different although it should work fine. You will have to swap in the whole engine and trans together from the 85 though as I dont think the old style trans will work with the 85 engine. Only other real difference is the 85 doesnt have the vacuum switches on top of the valve cover, instead it has an electric switch to control EGR. Thats all easy to swap over. Just mount your vacuum switches to the 85 valve cover. Oh yea, the tach drive is different, the 85 gets its signal off the bell housing. The 82 off the crank. The 85 engine should still have the sensor there so that shouldnt be a problem.

Steve MacSween wrote:

I have a *discussion* going on here with the shop that is doing the engine
replacement on my 1982 w126 SD.

I got an engine out of car I knew, slightly anyway, and drove once... an '85
w126 SD.

Now that the donor car has been delivered to them, the shop is saying they
can't stand by the original, quoted labour as they are going to have to
change over my manifold, engine mount brackets, and possibly even the pump
as the '85 has a 'later-generation' OM617 that 'has electronics'.

HUH. First I ever heard there was a difference between OM617s, any large
difference anyway, within the w126 series cars.

Someone enlighten me, please and thankee thankee.

--
Kaleb C. Striplin/Claremore, OK
 91 300D 2.5 Turbo, 90 420SEL, 89 560SEL, 87 300SDL,