ok, thanks!

I did read your post with the PNs and that is why I asked Kaleb for clarification. Thanks again for the info!

My quest for a manual trans flywheel for an OM 617 still stands, if anyone knows where i can find one.

At 10:39 PM 11/29/2006, you wrote:
On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 12:14:28 -0600 Loren Faeth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Yes, but 300D 4 and 5 speeds were sold in Canada and there are a fair
> number of grey market cars out there in the US.  I know chances of
> finding  a flywheel are slim, and I planned on using the 240D flywheel,
> but why not ask?

Especially since they're not the same.

> Are all OM 617 engines built with the flywheel and crank balanced
> separately?

That's what the FSM would lead you to believe. In putting together my
240D/3.0, however, I have a 617.912-12 engine (originally assembled with
an automatic transmission) and a 617 manual flywheel (gotten from a
123.130 whose 617.912-10 had punched the connecting rod for #1 through the
block). The machine shop messed up the original balance of the flywheel,
so they rebalanced it by itself.

I slapped the two together and they've been working fine for the last
50,000 miles or so.

Craig