That is kind of typical......The starting better thing that is. My well worn 260K mile 6.9 diesel in my van starts much nicer when the heater is used in the cold compared to a nice sunny day and no heater.

Makes sense to me really.

Mike
----- Original Message ----- From: "TimothyPilgrim" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Wednesday, December 06, 2006 11:00 AM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Block Heater

Some good points for sure, but my car lives outside. I've got a
single-car garage and it's where the motorcycles sleep.

Your answer is in line with what my coffee time mechanics told me just
now (I have morning coffee with the guys from the Cadillac shop across
the road). The youngest guy described all the variables that you just
did, but in the end they three guys actually gave an average value of
60-70 C or 138-158 F. It was explained that the block heater is
generally aimed at the #1 piston and that some of the newer Cadillacs
up here have a second block heater at the other end of the engine. How
does this compare to the W123?

Either way, the temperature is more than I suspected. I figured it'd
be just a hair above freezing, but now I see it's actually roasty
warm, more than a hot summer day in Toronto. I imagine having a high
temperature allows heat to migrate throughout the engine block, adding
to the overall effect. I sweat it started better this morning than on
a summer day without the heater. Maybe I should've been plugged in the
whole year round?

Tim
1982 300TD
1991 300TE 4Matic