Hmm, what is the AH rating on these batteries?  This is/was an 850CCA
battery....  I was figuring that at that rating 40amps wouldn't be that
high, but then I guess I was confusing AH with CA...  It is a smart charger
and should only put in what is needed.  It doesn't normally put that much
amperage into anything unless it's WAY low on power...  (And I selected that
high a charge)

They do seem to last pretty well.  I was just thinking that the other day
when my wife reminded me that we changed the one in her Sube before in 99'
or 00' at the latest and it's still going strong.  Hers isn't an Optima, but
is a gel cell Champion or something...

Levi

On 12/12/06, Jim Cathey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> -My Subaru's been neglected while I've been driving the Benz and the
> Optima
> I had in there went dead over the last stint.  Went to charge it
> yesterday
> and it was taking a good 30+ amps for a while, then seemed to slow
> down.
> Left it on there overnight and was sure it would be done this morning,
> but
> low and behold it was pumping in more than 20 amps and the battery was
> REALLY hissing, blowing smoke (or steam or whatever) and smelled
> something
> like eggs...
> I'm assuming that's no a good sign and the battery is probably toast,
> but
> what causes that?  I guess I thought the gel cells didn't really do
> that...

It's dead, Jim.  30+ amps is too hot a charge for unattended use,
for safety reasons.  (Nor does it do them any good either, most
batteries
prefer being charged at well under 10% of their AH rating.)  A good
6-10A
charger is all you need for regular use.  The hot chargers are mostly
for
the "I can't wait" crowd, like mechanics on flat rate.

No lead-acid battery likes being run flat, it's just that the Optimas
tolerate it a little better than the others.  They're also sealed
better (unless you cook them), and will run in any position.  But
they cost a lot more, and have less capacity than regulars.  Treated
well they will probably last longer.  (And by "well", run flat and
then cooked doesn't qualify! :-)

I have either a charge maintainer or a knife switch on our vehicles
that don't see regular service.

I hate batteries.  My electric shaver plugs in.  Norelco 2-header
from the late 50's, was my grandfather's.  Now _that's_ service!

-- Jim