Oh yes, I know. My cronies and I, growing up, used to laugh at the
performance of the cop cars and a few of us were fortunate enough to be able
to honestly brag about outrunning them. (outrunning was the easy part,
outcornering a bit more difficult, and of course, outrunning the Motorola or
the whirlybird, near impossible).

I know cop cars aren't "performance cars". I was just making a comment on
taxi drivers and how any extra shred of horsepower entrusted them is a scary
thing.

When my wife and I took a cab from the Seattle airport recently, I noticed
that the driver was falling asleep behind the wheel as a cozy sunbeam shone
in the window around dusk as he took us down the freeway. With the severe
communication barrier, one wonders how they pass the driving test to get
even their basic personal drivers licence.

David wrote:

A Crown Vic Police Interceptor is not really a performance car.  It's
got basically the same engine as a V-8 Mustang and considerably more
weight.