Mitch Haley wrote:
> What I do (not NEC approved) is wire up a patch cord with a dryer plug
> on one end, and a plug that fits the 240v socket on the generator on the
> other end.

Boy, did I forget something. First test the genny, to make sure it
has two good 120v sides on the 240v circuit. A light bulb will do
for testing. I start by turning on the well pump with my genny, but
I already know my genny won't kill the well pump. If you use the wrong
genny (maybe Jim Cathey can tell us why) the well pump is the most
expensive thing you could fry, so it's a bad place to start.