To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Wednesday, December 20, 2006 9:06 PM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Correct tools for 124 half shaft?

Wow! the correct tool makes all the difference between frustration, failure
and success!
The 6 bolts that hold the half shaft to the differential on this '90 124
definitely are TriSquare recessed heads; trying to use a Torx will NOT
work - only a 10mm TriSquare bit will grab the bolt head and permit breaking it loose. It took only a bit over 5 minutes to get the bolts out, using 30" of extensions so as to able to use a big breaker bar outside the wheel hub,
including setting the emergency brake to lock the axle while "wrenching".
Of course, since this was the left side, the rear sections of the exhaust
system had to come off so that the half shaft could be taken out.  (the
right side doesn't have any "plumbing" in the way). Thankfully, a Diesel
exhaust system doesn't rust into one solid piece, so it came apart readily.
But those sections and the bolts on the clamps got a coating of anti-sieze
to enable future disassembly, just in case.

Again, many thanks for all the advice and pointers to the right tools!

Werner
'90 300D 228k miles (and a new half shaft/CV joints)
'83 SD 223k miles