Andrew asked:<< is there any engineering limit on the no. of cylinders>>
I'm just guessing here -- based on things I've read - but I think the limit may have to do with the crankshaft flexing - the flat 12 Porsche used in the 917s of the early 70s had a seperate shaft that transmitted power from the center of the crank - so the power was coming from the center and not the end of the crank so the crank did not distort.

I need to read about the design of the 917 engine some more but that's what I recall --
I don't recall any engines with more than 16 cylinders -
Larry T (67 MGB, 74 911, 78 240D, 91 300D)
PORSCHE POSTERS!  youroil.net
Porsche Road Test http://members.rennlist.com/roadtest/
.
----- Original Message ----- [SNIP]