Bill -
I guess you have checked the easy stuff. O-rings on the oil filter bolt, proper
filter, proper oil viscosity? It is also pretty easy to drop the steel portion
of the oil pan to see if there is loose stuff in there that may be being sucked
into and blocking the the oil pump inlet screen. Case in point, when I dropped
the pan on my SD to replace the turbo return line grommet, I found some old
bits of gasket, from a previous repair, stuck to the oil screen. I don't think
the bearing wear is so much a factor of age as the total miles. Especially if
the oil has been changed regularly.

Barry