Jim, I am shocked! I guess I found one patchup that I may have done more than you!

Snappy has double flare tools in both Metric and SAE. There ARE minor differences in the tubing sizes. I have replaced rusted sections of MB brake line with US stuff, using the metric nuts salvaged off the old lines or another suitable donor. What I do is cut off one end , take off the SAE nuts and throw em in a box for future reference, then cut the nuts off the old line and put them on the new (SAE) line headed the proper directions.

Then add the new double flare..... (Right!) The best thing to do is make a few double flares on the old tube or the excess of the new tube before doing one on tubing cut to length. Especially if you are using the SAE double flare adapter. What usually happens is the first flare on the scrap turns out beautifully, then you make 2-3 lousy ones on the "real" tube and break the double flare adapter.

Here is the deal about the double flare adapters: A double flare kit is a plain ol flare tool in a box with 4-5 double flare adapters. The mb uses the SMALLEST adapter. It has about a 1/16" pin to slide into the tube while making the double flare. This pin is VERY easy to break off, and if you do break the pin off, you won't be making a double flare unless you have another, or wait for Snappy to order one and get it to you. Snappy generally carries the SAE sizes. To do it right, you need the right size METRIC double flare adapter. It is MUCH easier to make a good double flare with the metric adapter. Maybe Snappy in Boston or LA carries the metric adapters, but I have never seen a Snappy that has one on the truck. Whenever I order these, I always order 2-3. I seem to break at least one for each successful double flare I do. The morale: If you have a flare tool, just get the metric adapters from Snappy.

I have never found any other (local) source that even has a clue what you need. Not NAPA, not other tool trucks, nobody. I am guessing there are sources on the internet now. I can't remember the metric size you need. And it depends on the age of the car also, as older cars have bigger tubing. Best thing to do is to order in a chunk of tubing from Rusty, unless you are working on a Pre-123 model where prices get outta sight. As long as you are at it, you may as well just order the piece of tubing you want to repair, and put it on the car.

Larry, HTH

BTW, I have the Snap-on kit. There is NOTHING special about it for 3-5 times the price, other than the tin box that holds the flare tool and the adapters. One time in '73 or so, I used the next bigger size adapter when I was converting my U-110 Bronco to Dual circuit brakes. Most of the time the box just sits on a shelf. Everything (US) since 68 has had dual circuit brakes, so I don't envision ever doing a dual circuit conversion again. I think MB switched to dual circuit in 63.

Loren

At 02:50 PM 1/1/2007, you wrote:
> I'm considering getting the tool kit to do double flares and need to
> know if
> there's a Metric Kit and a SAE Kit?  I'm assuming there's both but
> haven't
> seen more than the SAE - although I haven't looked hard.

So far as I know, there's only the SAE.  Something about Bendix
(or somebody) having invented the brakes in the first place and
setting the standard.  I just bought a standard double-flare kit
when I fixed the brake on the 114.   The nuts are different for
metric, but not the line.  Or perhaps I misremember.

-- Jim