Peter Frederick wrote:
> Diesels WILL run with a fuel/air mix, but there is no control over the
> ignition timing that way.  I know at least one person who had a VW
> diesel get return holes in the head plugged up, and when the oil filled
> the valve cover and spilled over into the intake on the highway had
> QUITE a full throttle run until it all burned out....

That sometimes happens with VW diesels when they get bad rings, too.
The blowby can drive enough oil mist through the valve cover breather
vent and into the intake to cause runaway.  Some of VW's gas engines
have a plastic baffle between the cam and valve cover.  Retrofitting
that helps keep the oil out of the breather.

Propane injection is used by hot-rodders to increase power on diesels,
these days.  The propane is mixed with the intake air, and it ignites
with the diesel fuel when injection occurs.