To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Wednesday, January 17, 2007 5:45 PM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] OT: houses

kevin kraly wrote:

Now that sounds like quite the garage!  If you bought that for $40K, you
would still have enough to add onto the house or tear it down and rebuild to
meet your needs.

I talked to the realtor today, unfortunately didn't get a hold of him
until after lunch so I can't get inside until tomorrow. Bad news is the
bathroom needs floor replacement, the well didn't pass inspection,
there is no septic system (at least not by modern standards) and
the residency permit has been revoked, not to be restored until
everything meets current codes. Rats. Around here, that place would
be worth maybe 80k all fixed up, and I know of $20k worth of fixing
that needs to be done, with who knows how many surprises lurking.
I had been thinking $20k for the lot, $10k for the garage, $15k
for well and septic, and if the whole package was $40k the house
could be considered free. That changes if it doesn't come with
useable well or septic, in an area where drainfields don't come
cheap due to high water table.

I think I'd be better off with a larger $25k lot and a big pile of
building materials. Should I build a house with attached garage,
or save $10-20k and build a 45x72 barn and build a house inside it?
The former would have $70k more resale value, the latter would be
more my style.
Mitch.