I had left it with around three gallons of fuel in the tank for 8
hours or so.

Condensation becomes a problem when the temperature cycles up
and down.  With a lot of room in the tank for air, more comes
in and releases its moisture into the tank.  For short periods
of time, it really doesn't matter.  Likewise if the temperature
is not fluctuating much.  Also, below freezing there isn't all
that much water vapor in the air to begin with.  This recent
arctic blast, though cold, has been _much_ less of a PITA
than warmer temperatures that leave ice all over windows, etc.

I filled up and hit the highway. I got about 5 miles and
it just quit.

Can you say 'bad gas'?  Fillup followed by a stalled engine a
few miles down the road is classic.

-- Jim