From: John Robbins [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 17 January 2007 10:34 PM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Governer question

On Wed, 17 Jan 2007, Jim Cathey wrote:

>> If we are talking pre computer controlled Mercedes diesels, such as
>> the 617 turbo diesel, you are totally wrong!  The governor does not
>> have any function between idle and full rpm.  The only things that
>> control engine speed are the load, and the position of the fuel rack.
>
> I disagree.  It's possible to build diesel governors that have
> throttle responses anywhere from gasser acceleration models to pure
> tractor-like fixed RPM settings.

No doubt, but the governor on the OM617 turbos have a min/max governor
with torque control and boost compensation (ALDA).

> The governor in the 200D Frankenheap is very tractor-like, it pretty
> much accelerates all-out (ha!) to the rpm corresponding to the
throttle
> pedal position.

Well, on a flat road there is always going to be a fuel rack position vs

speed since the car speed and load are fairly well correlated to each
other. That pedal position is different in park than it is in drive
correct?

Those vacuum controlled IPs are interesting... the literature I have
doesn't talk much about them though.

John
'79 300SD