Werner Fehlauer wrote:
Why not simply run the engine, long enough for it to reach some uniform temperature, shut it down, and just as it cools enough to work on it safely, do the adjustment? That should allow doing it above the freezing temperatures of the day, and also have some mercy on the fingers. Of course, you would want to warm the tools beforehand, also!
Werner
Wouldn't that be to wait for operating temperature? If its somewhere inbetween different things could still be at different temperatures (heck, thats prolly true even at operating temp).

The plate on my car says if above a certain temp use xx values or if its below that temp use... etc. (I don't remember the values or temp, but know that I've always needed the 'cold' ones). IMO, its been two years since the valve adjustment was done.... the little itty bitty differences in tolerance from the super cold temperatures are most likely insignificant compared to how out of clearance they are now. Besides, its not like they'll never be out of adjustment again ;)

Warming tools... I'm going to have to try that one! :) Any spiffy warming method or do you just keep them inside?
John
'79 300SD