I recently got a replacement for a 1/4" drive U-joint that was too
loose, a 6mm Allen socket that the bit kept falling out of, and a
16oz. hammer that the rubber grip had cracked on - no questions - just
get yourself a new one.

Yes, as far as I know they still provide the lifetime warranty.  The
key is "hand" tools -- none of the power tools, air tools, etc have
this warranty.  Also Sears now sells a lot of tools that are not
"Craftsman" tools: those are not warranted for life unless so stated
on the packaging.

Allan

--
OK Don, KD5NRO