The only thing worse would have been E-torx heads!

-j.

From: "Tony Wirtel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> Because of this car, I can say I've done MB ball joints AND say that I
> hope I don't have to do them again! That, and as many have said
> before, the person who spec'ed 6mm hex socket bolts for engine mounts
> was a moron.
From [EMAIL PROTECTED] Fri Jan 26 13:16:50 2007
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 08:10:56 -0500
From: "Werner Fehlauer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] "special bolts" was:300sd FS near Philadelphia

E-torx - like triple square? I'm sure M-B is not unique about the fasteners
they use, as almost every manufacturer has used special fasteners, either
for production efficiency reasons or special strength attributes.

The main thing is to use the correct tool for these.  I tried to use a Torx
bit (on other people's advice) to remove the 6 socket head bolts that hold
the half-shaft to the center diff on my '90 124; all that did was to start
to round them out.  With a 10mm triple-square bit, they came right out.  It
is also interesting that replacement bolts from Rusty are of reverse (sex);
they have external flutes, and therefore require something like a Torx
female socket.  Some may even have luck using a 12-pt socket on those.

Werner