I find the best way is to remove the whole assembly from the car and then replace mast/service the unit, I have had very little(read that as no) luck trying to replace the mast while the antenna unit is in the car. I know it should be possible but I don't have the patience for it. Plus if the unit is taken apart it can be inspected/lubricated.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim Cathey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Tuesday, January 30, 2007 4:25 PM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Antenna mast removal

I know this has been discussed before, and the procedure should be
easy.

'tis, usually.

I can't remove the antenna mast from my 83 300D.  I removed the
notched
threaded ring, the black gasket, and turned on the radio...

Notched ring?  The thing you unscrew is usually a flatted chrome 'nut'
at the top.  It may be that you removed the mount for the antenna body
itself, not the mast release collar.

-- Jim