Chris - not sure how much different that car is from my '90 124 2.5, but I had a loud noise, intermittently, that became more frequent over several months. All due to a worn CV joint. The noise seems to be slow but proportional to wheel rotation; it would be about 3 times faster if it was related to the flex disc. The good news is that the noise can go on for quite a while before it becomes a significant mechanical problem; you will probably want to fix it as the noise can get quite loud. It is load sensitive, in that mine went away when coasting, and was loudest on acceleration. You should carefully inspect the rubber boots, and if cracked, then a replacement is necessary. Once dirt gets in or the lube gets out, its the end of smooth CV joint operation. For my 124, Rusty sells a new half shaft assembly (has 2 CV joints), for under $400. You might be able to confirm the problem by pulling the half shaft first towards the differential, drive in a straight line listening for the noise, and then moving the shaft in the opposite direction and repeating. One caution if you do have to replace the half shaft: mine had socket head bolts, that REQUIRED a 10mm TriSquare bit, firmly tapped in, to remove. Easiest access to these 6 bolts was by way of a long extension from outside the rear wheel hub, so that you have plenty of room to use a big breaker bar. Do NOT try and loosen this kind of bolt with a Torx bit: it will not fit properly, and you can end up with a stripped out bolt. FYI, the replacement bolts from Rusty have external flutes, that a Torx socket WILL fit. Oh, and the axle shaft nut at the hub should be replaced with a new one, also as it is bent to lock when tight.

Werner

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chris Kueny" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Thursday, February 01, 2007 8:07 PM
Subject: [MBZ] Noise from the rear

My 1985 300TD has a noise coming from the rear, which I had my indy 'fix' last year. It has the following traits: It is clearly in time with speed, and sounds like hammering. It is most pronounced on hard acceleration, goes almost away while coasting, and if I decelerate, it also is loud, but somewhat different. Finally, it seems too slow to be the wheel, and I am hoping someone will tell me it is obviously the flex disc, The indy said my right rear brake was sticking, and rebuilt the caliper. It sounds like it is coming from the passenger's side, but if it were the flex disk, is it possible that the muffler would shield that sound from the drivers side? Last year I took a very good hard look and detected nothing out of order, hence the indy. It started back shortly after I got it back, then went away for most of the summer/fall. Anyone have an idea? Or some tests I can do to narrow down the problem? Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.

Chris Kueny ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
78 Chevy Custom deluxe
'85 300TD
'02 Subaru Outback