I would think that an engine requiring more than 5-10 seconds of cranking is in need of something else - like properly operating glow plugs, or ungelled or not ice-blocked fuel. I'm assuming you've been regularly putting decent fuel in the tank, so that should be winterized in this zone; that leaves glow plugs - fuses, controls, and lastly, the plugs themselves.

There is anecdotal evidence that the Optima batteries last longer and have plenty of capacity; I've kept with M-B batteries for 3 reasons: They are cheaper than the Optima (at the dealers, with the club discount), they seem to last at least 5 years (mostly), and when showing the car, having OE batteries helps, too.

And when I called for the free M-B road service the one time I had a premature battery failure, they replaced it at no charge, on the spot - didn't have to lift a finger!

Werner

To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Wednesday, February 07, 2007 9:15 AM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Are these legit workshop manual CDs?

well maybe. It hadn't been started at all in ~2-3 weeks and it did get treated to 2-3 mins of cranking.Given the price of diehard etc, I'm likely to go to the stealership ($109) for a battery. They have been uprated to 100Ah...

-j.
-------------- Original message -------------- From: "Werner Fehlauer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Sounds like the "diehard" didn't......

Werner