Bill - the hooks should be about 6" long, or enough for you to get a good grip on them with your knuckles clear of the dash pad. The placement is about 3-4" up from the bottom, on each side, carefully inserted between the dash covering and the plastic molded IC cluster. When you get it out, you will see an area where there are actually some "teeth" to catch the hook, but you have to use the braille method to find them the first time.

Werner

----- Original Message ----- From: "Billr" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "'Mercedes Discussion List'" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Saturday, February 10, 2007 1:22 PM
Subject: [MBZ] instrument cluster removal

I need to pull the instrument cluster on my 1981 300SD as I do think I have
a short or two [oil pressure pegs when the key is turned on, plus a couple
of other irregularities]. I have seen it done, but that was some time ago.
I made a couple of hooks out of coat hanger, but I think they might have
been too short.  How long should they be, and what is the best spot to
insert them?

Thanks in advance - BillR, Jacksonville FL

1981 300SD  284k miles