Thanks Marshall and Bob.

Found this site, http://dieselgiant.com/glowplugrepair.htm complete with pictures, which details the steps to check the fuse and plugs.

Martin

Marshall Booth wrote:
carbucks wrote:
Hello all,

Looking for some list wisdom.

What does it mean when the glow plug light won't go out?

My 85 300SD light often stays lit until the car starts. I wait the usual number of seconds (I have another 300SD), before starting it.

Lately the light will come back on after the car has been running for a few seconds. I turn the engine off and restart it, waiting a bit longer than before, and the light will go out when the engine starts. Sometimes have to repeat this process a three or four times.

The dash lamp NOT lighting when the key is first activated OR the dash light relighting after the engine starts, both signal that the preglow system requires service. It could be a bad or intermittent glow plug or plug wire, a cracked fuse, or a defective relay. I'd check plugs and fuse first and if questionable, replace them. If that doesn't cure things, then the relay needs to be checked.

Marshall