On Sun, 18 Feb 2007, Joe Knight wrote:

> Don't fret too much Peter.  I pulled the head from mine with a chain
> winch suspended from a bit less than 8' ceiling in a too small garage.
>  Came out all right with the turbo & exhaust manifold attached even
> though I didn't have the winch very well positioned.  Kinda resist the
> temptation to put the head back on with those bits detached.  I did

I used a 2x4 with a helper as a lift to pull the head off a 617. I
believe that I pulled off the manifolds first to make things lighter. I
got some all-thread of the proper type and cut a couple of alignment pins
out of it (make sure they are a couple inches longer than the longest head
bolt!)  Oh yeah its a good opportunity to clean out your manifold!

The WORST part was threading the T/C oil feed line back into the oil
filter housing!

-j.