Allan,
One of the products which is highly touted for this purpose is POR-15.  I've
used this on an old Volvo I had and a winter Buick, but it didn't last
long.  Since I had previously garaged and not driven my '84 300D in the
winter until this year, I had two rust areas (Rt. front fender/valence &
Left Q panel) addressed professionally in '98 but rust has reappeared in
both areas.  I'm convinced that the only way to deal with rust once it
starts is to cut out the rusted areas and weld in fresh steel.  I've got an
old listing of sheet metal body parts from a place called K & K Mfg.
(800-876-4286), but I don't know if they still exist.  Once I move South, I
plan on having my sedan addressed the right way by someone who knows what
they're doing.  Good luck.

G. M. Brown
Rochester, NY