On 3/6/07, Allan Streib <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Anyone know why MB never came out with a "minivan".  Especially with
the purchase of Chrysler the "inventor" of the minivan (not sure what
they thought the VW "bus" was).  Seems like they'd sell like hotcakes
to upscale soccer moms.

Allan

For the very reason you just quoted. As others have pointed out, MB
does have minivans in europe. But in Europe, MB is more of a GM. Here
they have to be luxury because that is who they sell to in the US. MB
builds everything, from the Smart sized to Semi's. But they just would
not have been able to compete with Chrysler on their home turf. VW
knows this as well, and is why they will be selling an 08 Caravan with
VW badging. Even Ford and Chevy have kind of "given up" in the mini
van segment. Their examples just don't have the same winning feel.
Which is too bad, I loved the Astro. Chrysler owns the US minivan
segment, everyone else is just kind of also rans.

Although much of that is my own opinion.

Ed

--
Knowledge is power... Power Corrupts. Study hard... Be Evil.