I'm pretty sure that I'm just going to change the B2, and then go to the
synthetic ATF, pop in a new filter and gasket, and be done.  I'm not what I
would call mechanically inclined, but I think I can figure this out.  It
also sounds like there is more room in the SD than in the D.
If you can send teh write up, Allen that would be great.
Chris

On 3/9/07, Allan Streib <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

"Chris Lane" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> The things I have been told to do are, change the filter, and change
> the fluid to synthetic, change the B2 piston, or replace the
> transmission (the dealer's $5000 solution).

Sounds reasonable.  The symptoms you describe are similar to what I
had in my '83 300D as the B2 was failing.  Synthetic (Mobil 1) ATF
seemed to help for a while, but then one day -- massive slippage in
first gear.  If you're already experiencing that, an M1 change might
be a waste of money, because you have to drain the fluid for the B2
repair anyway.

If you are mechanically inclined, the B2 repair is not that bad.  I
did mine without pulling the transmission; a tight squeeze but it is
possible.  I posted a writeup of my repair to the old Diesel (mbz.org)
list a couple of years ago, if you want I can try to find it and send
it to you.

Otherwise, if you can find an indy to do it, it would certainly be
cheaper than a new transmission.  And if he pulls the B2 piston and
it's NOT broken into pieces, you know right then that you have other
problems.

Allan
--
1983 300D