I use a starter relay from a 66 ford bronco or equivalent. It has 2 posts for the pilot circuit, so you can run a ground wire inside, to a pushbutton switch and then to a ground. The hot side of the pilot circuit only has to run a couple of feet to the battery. Connect the power to the battery side of the resistance coil on the dash. This works on key-glow later models when the switch or relay are intermittent. I used this on my 81 240D when it had what turned out to be a series of bad starter relays. Just push the button for glow or start, depending on how you wire it.

I had one on my escort diesel for the glow circuit too. It was flakey from time to time.