Quite a beast, and under-rated, as the actual hp and torque were usually well above factory minimum spec of 300 hp and 400 ft/lbs.

50 ft of twin rubber marks from an idle start just by smashing your foot down....

Peter
On Mar 27, 2007, at 8:27 PM, Tom Hargrave wrote:

I still would not mind owning one. I've had two 1972 280SEL 4.5's and they were great cars. The 280SEL 4.5 was the same body, spring instead of air
suspension, slightly smaller 4.5 liter V8 engine.

Thanks,
Tom Hargrave
www.kegkits.com
256-656-1924

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, March 27, 2007 9:08 PM
To: mercedes@okiebenz.com
Subject: Re: [MBZ] 6.3/6.9

<<Wasn't the 6.3 faster than the 6.9? I'm guessing they mean fastest
production sedan for the time.>>

By today's standards, neither one would be called anything but a good
performer. Top speeds around 140. And according to a former 6.3 owner known
to most
of us, that model's brakes were grossly inadequate and handling could be
treacherous.

RLE