I have a small garden plot, maybe 10' x 20' max. But that is the place we
burn leaves each fall and the soil is really rich with ash. I know from
experience that tomatoes love the alkaline soil that ash offers. I have to
throw away several every year when they get too big for their own skins and
actually burst on the vine, trying to grow.

One problem (like it really IS a problem) is that almost everyone has a
garden in our town, and at harvest time folks are actively looking for
someone who will take a box of cucumbers off of their hands. As God is my
witness, folks will pull up to our office with a PICKUP TRUCK LOAD of sweet
corn, hoping they can "unload" it on our mentally retarded group home folks.
And we always say "yes, thank you," and we use it.

Late July in west-central Iowa, you can go home with a Benz load of fresh
produce, along with a thank-you note from the farmer for taking it off of
his hands.

Don't even ask me about zucchini!