I found that all of the rubber air control and intake manifold hoses
(and there are a LOT of them) were hard to the point of not sealing on
the '78 450 engine - replacing all of them ($$) made a major
difference in how the engine runs (as it wouldn't even start before).
I agree with Trampas that the 560 is the V-8 engine to have. More
power and better mileage.