On 4/1/07, Loren Faeth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

all the stereo
installers I have talked to want to remove or bypass the front/rear
fader.  I kinda like it although it does have a tendency to get dirty and
static-y.  Has anyone bypassed the fader?  How do you do it?  The obvious
choice it to disconnect the wires attached to the fader plug and solder
them together.  Is there a better/simpler way?

Take the head unit out, disconnect the wires going to the fader, and
carefully slit open lengthways the entire taped bundle from which they
emerge, which runs alongside the transmission tunnel to the right of the
lever, up under the ashtray.  Then pull the contents of the bundle up into
the head unit area.  It'll be obvious which wires go to the front and rear
speakers (use an AA battery on the bare wires to check polarity and
left/right orientation), which come from the head unit, and which can be
discarded entirely, getting rid of a significant portion of the spaghetti
behind the center console.  IIRC, to connect both sets of speakers so as to
use the head unit's fader control, you will have to re-splice the speaker
wires directly to the head unit's harness.  (Label them nicely to make
things easier for the next owner, please!)

In my car, the sound was much improved (not only less staticky but also
louder since the factory fader attenuates the signal somewhat).  You can
leave the disconnected fader switch in place, or take it out and use the
rectangular space left in the console for something useful (iPod input
jack?  Ejector seat?  Photon torpedoes?).

Alex Chamberlain
'87 300D Turbo
'93 Isuzu Trooper