Thanks John,

I"m still not 100% clear on the oil drain thing?  So the oil isn't drained
through a drain plug in the bottom of the crank?

20W-50 seems heavy to me too.  But the book seems to call for that.  Funny
thing is, if I'm reading it right, if the temp is consistantly hot, you can
run a (15W-40 I think, don't have the book here).  Why run thin when cold,
then switch to thicker as it gets hot, then if it remains really hot, switch
to a thinner grade?  Did I miss something or not read the manual correctly?

Thanks again,
Ed
300E

On 07/04/07, John M McIntosh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Apr 7, 2007, at 2:49 PM, E M wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> Want to do an oil change soon. Still freezing here, so won't get to
> the
> change for a few days.  The gas engine has 320,000 kms on it, and
> from what
> I can make out, when used in hot weather, it calls for a 20W-50
> dino oil.
> Is this the right grade for non synthetic stuff?  also, do you have
> to pull
> that bottom tray off to get to the drain bolt?  I haven't rolled on
> the
> ground yet to really look for it due to the cold.  Where do I find
> the oil
> filter?

well I just buy Mobil Devac 1 5w40 in 20 quart pails and use it in
everything, keeps
life more simple, diesel, gas, lawnmower,generator, etc.

20w50 seems heavy, but I ran 15w50 in my 300TE when in california

The engine is designed to pump he oil out of and then not mess with
removal and stripping of oil plug, and loosing screws for lower
engine shield.
See for example
http://www.amazon.com/Northern-Tool-and-Equipment-Liquivac/dp/B0000AXBO5
The place to buy such equipment is a boating store since that usually
is the target market.

Rusty will sell you filters
http://www.buymbparts.com/

otherwise your local auto-supply house should be able to order up a
Mahle, a K&N, or bosch filter for you

I recall there is a puller/clamp thing to use to pull the boots off
the plugs, otherwise you damage the wires.
something like http://www.samstagsales.com/images/hz1849-1.jpg